Virtual Channels

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Hi,
First congratulations for an excellent software, I manage a large group of servers and have been postponing doing something like your code for a long time. Now I don’t need to look any further!

On another project I’m using virtual channels to exchange data between the client and a remote application. It all works fine as long as there is a remote desktop window.

rdpc.CreateVirtualChannels("CH001");

rdpc.Connect();

rdpc. SendOnVirtualChannel("CH001", "Message from client");

On the server side there is a running app connected to this channel (it’s a custom shell).

What I need to do is to launch a remote application without showing the remote desktop. I can do that by using:

rdpc.MsRdpClientShell.RdpFileContents = System.IO.File.ReadAllText("c:\\temp\\myServer.rdp");

Where myServer.rdp is an RDP file generated by TS Remote App Manager. Unfortunately it launches the remote application as expected (without desktop window) but virtual channels are gone. I get an error every time I try to use them.

Any ideas?

Best regards,

mjda

Coordinator
Mar 24, 2009 at 12:43 PM
@mjda. Am sorry didn't notice this discussion and haven't visited the page.

On your problem about Virtual Channel, sadly to say, I haven't explored that part yet, and if you could direct me into some nice code sample on how to use this, I could add a Virtual Channel feature on this project and probably support your issue.

Sorry again.
Regards
- Jayson R.
Mar 25, 2009 at 1:12 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/file/di4mjbnm3yy/VirtualChannels.zip

Hi Jayson,

I’m sending a demo solution about using virtual channels to exchange data between server and client.

This subject, I think, lies outside the scope of you excellent “Multi Remote Desktop Client .NET”. I just posted there because there is little documentations about (if possible) using virtual channels on remote applications.

My starting point was the presentation and code found on http://www.briforum.com/videos/  (Search for "Terminal Server API") from Dr. Tritsch (http://www.drtritsch.com/) .

To run my sample:

·         Server 2008 in terminal services mode

·         Client Vista with SP1 (RDP client 6.1)

·         Copy the server exec to somewhere on the server

·         Publish it using “TS Remote App Manager”

·         Run the client (don’t forget to update credentials, server, etc).

The program starts a remote session, launches the remote App and both apps are able to exchange data using virtual channels.

My goal: launch the remote app without the remote desktop window. I’m able to do this using an RDP file but in that case I cannot set the channels. I’m hosting a remote application on a datacenter and the server app is the shell to this system. In order to make it more pleasant I use it as a remote app so it fits nicely on clients desktop as if it was just another local program window. I would like to use channels to control some hardware on the client but in that case I must resort to use a remote desktop.

Again, I’m sorry to bother you with this off topic subject.

Best  regards,

Manuel Alves

Coordinator
Mar 26, 2009 at 12:53 AM
Hi Manuel Alves,

That's ok! I think Virtual Channel is a great feature for this project.

I will review the codes and check the links you gave ASAP.

Thank you!
- Jayson R.
Nov 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Hey Guys,

Although this discussion list looks a bit old.. I hv a query regarding RDPClient... Jayson I looked your application "Multi Remote Desktop Client .Net", where you can open multiple RDCs in a single Windows application, I need a very similar thing, I want to open multiple remote apps in one windows application/ web page. Any ideas...??

Thanks and Regards,

Gaurav Arya